27 July 2009

Weekend Update - Coolers

Everyone gets coolered (yeah, I just made that word up, but you know what I mean). Of course, the converse is that we all cooler others. I was thinking more about my decent weekend, trying to separate where I had played ok from where I had just got lucky and I can pretty confidently say there was only one cooler dished out by yours truly - but it was pretty bad.

I limp from second position with AQ suited (merits of this play to be discussed in another setting if desired). Lots of limpers to button who puts in small raise of 3bbs. I don't recognise button as a regular, but based on her accent and her demeanour I know she is familiar with the game generally. Probably not this game, and familiar doesn't mean good. But I figure she is slightly stronger than a local who puts in what is essentially a pot-sweetener. Then things get interesting as Big Blind re-raises to 12 bbs. I do know big blind, whom we will call S. S is very nice, plays quite a bit and has a clue. This squeeze type move could mean lots of things, but likely she has a hand that I am at best a coin flip with. But given the money already in, and the fact my cards play in a multi-way, I call. One other caller and then the button and we are four-handed to a flop of Kh Jh 10s. Short story is that S had kings, so she flops top set and I, drawing very thin pre-flop, flop the nut straight. Money gets in on flop and board doesn't pair and I double. S has officially been coolered and she deals like a pro. Funny how we forget giving these things out much easier than we forget getting them.

No comments: