19 July 2009

Mad Crush

So it turns out I'm a nerd. I read way too much and find myself most comfortable when able to spend time discussing obscure topics of limited interest to the general population. Professionally this translates to actually enjoying discussions about the relevance and admissibility of evidence relating to prior negotiations when attempting to construe contractual warranties. Personally this means I like poker. Happy to discuss the hard decisions like they are important while fully aware of their overall insignificance in relation to my earn.

I have also noticed this "nerdliness" gets progressively worse (better?) as I age. I am prematurely reaching curmudgeon status, which is not really something I'm excited about. Especially when it comes to the topic of this post - women. It seems I have a mad crush on a poker blogger (aka Cardgrrl) and I really have no idea what to do about it. Now I realise that there is little that can be done in these circumstances without violating laws relating to stalking in several jurisdictions (and in case the aforementioned Cardgrrl is nervous - I'm not doing anything - so that person who keeps calling and hanging up is not me - honest, check my phone records). But the specific here is, as is often the case, a perfect metaphor for the general. I'm a curmudgeonly, pre-maturely old nerd who spends his free time surrounded by people I hope are dumber than I am so I can take their money.

I suppose, in hindsight, it isn't surprising I struggle to find dates worth going on.

No comments: