23 August 2009

A break or a breakdown

So, I decided over the weekend that I am going to take a break from live poker again. No real earth shattering reasons - just realised that I have been taking poor care of myself and this poor care is at least partially related to my poker game.

My local room is full of bad players who are there to gamble. This means that, on average, the best strategy is simply to extract value for your made hands as you will get it. But if you run bad like I have for a while now it can make the whole experience a bit soul destroying. Everyone plays different and everyone deals with playing different. When I have to sit for three hours surrounded by various forms of idiocy masquerading as male bravado while practicing my folding (right hand twist out of back of hand, left hand traditional, right hand traditional, repeat...) my coping mechanisms generally involve alcohol.

This coping mechanism tends to get a very serious workout when, after all that practicing at folding, I pick up a very playable pair of kings on the button and get called preflop, flop (K82) and all-in on the turn (a 5) by 64 off only to see the river 3 give my opponent a straight because "sorry dude, I just felt like outplaying you and I knew my hand would be good". I always try to compliment such play and avoid showing my hand if I can ("Nice hand sir. Me? Not much, certainly not enough to beat a straight. Well played"). But I'm human. Rather than vent all that outwardly I turn to the table beside me and consume what happens to be sitting there. Then the hot little French backpacker/cocktail waitress asks me if I want another. Boy, do I.

So I'm taking a break. Will probably last as long as I am really busy at work (most of September at this stage) but may only last for a day. I'm also going to play some on-line. I can scream at the players there.

No comments: